Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: barking mad

Actually he is not. He is a remarkable audio engineer who has achieved great things in his profession.

He has a lot of experience and talks about them honestly and shares a lot of worthwhile knowledge from a lot of different audio (recording) points of view in this interview.

His mixing of the Joni Mitchell album, about 15 years ago, did produce a great opportunity in the early days of SA-CD development to demonstrate the quality of the DSD record playback system. And specially also the quality of 5.1 surround for music. I was there, when Philips and Sony demonstrated the recording playback DSD system to promote this for SA-CD to recording professionals in LA, and it supported my own experiences recording classical music, that SA-CD with surround sound has a great advantage sonically over anything else in the consumer audio world. It has put SA-CD in a special place all these years, and only now there are serious consumer alternatives that are coming close in quality.

The problems with CD pressings and getting different quality cd’s did (does?) exist, but in my view mainly have to do with jitter and the sensitivity of different cd players to this jitter problem. The bits do not change, so I do also think that you can copy a cd (or better a digital file) and get exactly the same result. The part of the system producing the CD(r) hardcopy and the players affected by reading/jitter issues are the things that could have a degrading effect on the sound.

He has many other great things to say about audio and being a very sensitive dedicated professional engineer, I would trust his subjective judgement on many of his stories. Very often he can substantiate them with a technical explanation.

He is an important and (hopefully) influential contributor to the audio industry.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.