Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I thought the article was poorly written--here's why

In the following two contiguous sections of the article, zero dB is defined as both the loudest AND the softest sound you can hear, thereby mixing up 0 dB SPL with 0 dbTP. The second paragraph is actually about dB(true peak), which is the "peak amplitude of a signal compared with the maximum which a device can handle before clipping occurs.[39] In digital systems, 0 dBTP would equal the highest level (number) the processor is capable of representing. Measured values are always negative or zero, since they are less than or equal to full-scale." This is from wikipedia.

"Recordings are made at line level, all samples must be taken below 0 dB. 0 dB and negative dB do not mean no sound, but rather 0 dB is the theoretical quietest sound a person can hear. Breathing is about 10 dB. When your volume is turned all the way down, no gain should be applied and you should not hear anything at all because all the sound should be below 0 dB.

"Digital audio enforces this, 0 dB is the loudest you can record, it simply can not record signals hotter than that. If you attempt to the result is a distortion called clipping."

There are also some misconceptions in the article, e.g., stating that it is likely that your audio system has a band limiter--sure doesn't look that way when amplifier and preamp outputs are measured--look at the graphs in any issue of Stereophile.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.