Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: How to check for fake 24 bit depths?

This question has been asked before on sites such as computeraudiophile.com, and as far as I'm aware, there's no easy way for consumers to check whether all bits of a 24-bit audio file are being fully utilized or have simply been 'up-decimated' or just padded with 0's. I do know that some record labels, such as BIS, recorded in 24/44.1 (and released those recordings on SACD) for years. Those BIS 24/44.1 files are available for download via eClassical. (They've recently switched to 24/96 for most/all of their recordings.) Same thing with Harmonia Mundi. 24/44.1 is still better than 16/44.1, so while it might not be fully hi-res, it's still better than CD.

As far as passing off upsampled files as 'hi-res' goes, I think that issue is largely over. Once that was exposed a few years ago, I think the labels have been a lot more careful. I make a point of spot-checking each of my hi-res downloads, and I haven't found any 'fake' hi-res files in quite a while now.

Russell

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.