Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Any emerging consensus here on download quality?

I've just recently started listening to some hi-rez downloads on my Oppo 105, and am very happy with them. Mostly they're classic jazz, but I also have the Wilson Audio recording of Beethoven/Enescu for violin and piano and the Reference Recordings Nojima Plays Liszt (176/24). I have compared the latter to the LP and the original CD, and I find the hi-rez file incredibly more detailed than either. I just got the DSD file of Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section, a recording I've been curious about for some time, and the drum kit is just amazingly real.

I've got quite a few SACDs of all kinds, and till now that was my favorite medium, but it seems to me that we really have turned a corner, getting closer to the master tape with the good downloads.

I'm not religious about any of this stuff, and I know there's a lot of disagreement about download quality, but has anyone else had my experience? I'm finding the sound of these downloads addictive; even the best LPs and SACDs sound a little smeared by comparison on my system.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Any emerging consensus here on download quality? - Harold T. 11:25:59 03/24/14 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.