Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Yes, and regarding break in...

I basically agree with you, but I've had one experience with the exact opposite results. My Thiel CS3.7 speakers required serious break-in before sounding good. I originally heard them on a factory tour and I was completely blown away by their excellent sound quality. However, when I bought them and initially set them up, they sounded pretty bad in my system. I was actually shocked that the built-in speakers in my flat panel HDTV sounded better than the Thiel CS3.7. In fact, I was ready to dump them when a good friend told me, "John, you need to listen to those Thiels until you like them." Well, I respected this guy quite a bit, so I began playing the Thiel's night and day. They were bright with little bass and they actually produced distorted sibilance that I had never heard on female vocal recordings with which I was familiar.

Anyway, to make a long story short, after a month of daily use, the Thiel CS3.7 speakers transformed into what I heard in the Thiel factory listening room. They continued to improve for at least another six months, but after one month they turned into the best sounding speakers I have ever owned, and possibly the best sounding speaker I have ever heard. They are no longer bright in the least and they no longer produce distorted sibilance. Their bass improved considerably, but I still use a subwoofer for the bottom octave. These Thiel CS3.7s are now very musical and detailed, yet not the least analytical in the negative sense. They allow me to hear everything in the recording and they present good recordings with outstanding presence and realism. Their imaging and soundstage is truly holigraphic. They make good recordings sound better than ever and not-so-good recording sound not-so-good. Whatever their sonic signature, I now prefer it to any other speakers I've owned or heard.

Quite frankly, I had never had an experience like this. All my other experiences with break-in were just as you suggest. I suspect the Oppo BDP-105D will fall into the category for which break-in will not change the actual character of this component. Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Best regards,
John Elison

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.