Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I'm going to break it in first...

Your idea of transparency is wrong. Think of it like this:

Suppose you are looking out a plate glass window onto a view of the countryside. If the window is truly transparent, what you see through the window will be identical to what you see when the window is removed.

Transparency and accuracy go together. I judge a digital components transparency with the sound of vinyl. My Alesis Masterlink is truly transparent in that I can make a 24/96 digital copy of a vinyl record and the digital copy will sound just like the record when played back through the Masterlink. Furthermore, when I transfer the digital file to my hard drive and play it through my DAC, it also sounds just like the vinyl record. However, when I play that same file with the Oppo, it sounds different than the vinyl record.

The Oppo has a definite sonic signature that none of my other digital components posses. Perhaps I've been blessed, but I have owned accurate and transparent digital recorders and players for the past 20-years. Perhaps you remember when Mike Lavigne challenged me in June 2007 to prove to him that I could make a 16/44 Redbook CD-R that sounded like vinyl. Mike lost his own challenge when he failed to identify the CD-R recording from a vinyl record being played on his $75,000 Rockport Sirius III turntable.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with my Oppo BDP-105D other than the fact that Oppo gave it a definite sonic signature rather than making it accurate and transparent. On the other hand, you must have thought there was something very seriously wrong with your Oppo to spend twice it price on modifications to its power supply and analog output stage. Actually, I was hoping that the Oppo would be accurate and that you wanted it to be colored, and that was the reason for spending all that money. However, that doesn't seem to be the case with my Oppo. It is already colored more than I prefer.

Since I have it setup and running in my system, I will keep it for another couple of weeks of break-in before making a final decision on whether to send it back. We'll see how it goes.

Best regards,
John Elison

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.