Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Yes I have

No format will improve a bad recording or mastering. Hi-Rez downloads assure you of nothing it is just another way to listen to music. Garbage in garage out at DSD or 24 bit. How many times can you keep buying the same recording over and over. I love the physical format and CD's sound great nothing like when they 1st came out and the new format like any new format grew and sounded better and better as they learned better on how to use it.

The error in our thinking is a new format will improve a recording and this is not true there is only so much you can do with it, unless you take the time to remix it then it not the same sound.

I've gotten SACD lately of old recordings and they sound worse than the red-book counter part and the reason is they been played with before release. That will always be the danger be it CD, LP or download.

Keep in mind there as been a huge market push for downloads and the magazines have played into creating this market as being the next best thing for best sound quality and as your finding that is not true, if the download file has been done with care and new mastering from a cd made 20 years ago it should sound better, but keep in mind that same recording would also sound better on the new CD release.

The nice thing about vinyl is if you buy an "old" used LP from that era at least your getting the sound of that recording back then for better or worse and many LP's sound awful in audiophile terms. Your not changing what on the master tape regardless of the format.

Hi-Rez is marketing to get you to switch over and rebuy your music. Think of the profit for them, no physical format cost to manufacture, package, labor, and so forth, and they are not cheaper and they should be.
PJB

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Yes I have - Dr.Phil 23:37:14 03/12/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.