Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Pretty much, I guess...

I was participating in audio newsgroups as far back as the early to mid 1990s. I got started in the Audio Asylum in December 2000.

> everything has a sonic signature. You should know that.

Well, I understand what you're implying, but some digital components do not have sonic signatures to my ears. The word "sonic" has to do with sound and hearing. As I stated in my post above, I cannot hear any difference between my 24/96 digital copies of a vinyl records and the records themselves. In that sense, my Masterlink digital recorder does not present any kind of sonic signature to my ears. Furthermore, when I play a 24/96 copy of a vinyl record from the hard drive into my Eximus DP1 DAC, it also sounds the same as the vinyl record to me. However, when I play the same 24/96 digital recording with the Oppo BDP-105, it sounds noticeably different. I didn't expect it to sound different and I'm disappointed.

Now, I have to decide whether I'm willing to live with the difference or whether I will return the Oppo for a refund. I'll make that decision in a couple of weeks after I complete a break-in period.

> This stuff is all a crap shoot and sometimes we gamble and lose.
>
> Best to just move on and chalk it up to experience.

Very true! But, I don't intend to lose $1300 if I don't have to. I've never returned a component because I didn't like the way it sounded, but there's always a first time. Oppo instituted the return policy for a reason and I might have to take advantage of it. I'll know more later.

Best regards,
John Elison

Edits: 03/12/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Pretty much, I guess... - John Elison 20:33:36 03/12/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.