Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: At least you can

Yes, I intend to listen to my DAC and then switch back to the Oppo after a week of break-in with pink noise, music, and movies. I will be listening to the music and movies via the Oppo's digital output into my Eximus DP1 DAC. If the Oppo sounds dull and unemotional when I switch back in a week or so, then perhaps it does not have a decent analog output stage. I will test both the balanced and unbalanced stereo outputs.

I honestly expected the Oppo to sound basically as good as my DAC and my Alesis Masterlink. The Alesis Masterlink was not an overly expensive component, costing only $800 in 2004, but it sounds perfect to me. By perfect, I mean that when I copy a vinyl LP at 24/96, the digital copy sounds identical to the LP when played back through either the Masterlink's DAC or from the Masterlink's digital output through my Eximus DP1 DAC. There might be minimal differences, but for all practical purposes, digital copies of vinyl sound identical to vinyl as far as I can tell. Therefore, I expected the Oppo to sound basically as good as my Masterlink and my Eximus DP1 DAC. I was very surprised that it sounded rather dull, blurry and unemotional instead of detailed and transparent. I actually wondered whether Oppo tried to give it a tube-like sound quality instead of an accurate sound quality.

Best regards,
John Elison

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.