Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Oh, no, I bought an Oppo BDP-105D...

Unlike Dave Pogue, I don't have an additional $2500 to make this thing listenable. I guess I didn't realize just how good my system sounded until I installed the Oppo BDP-105D in place of my music server and DAC. This thing is truly mid-fi at best. I bought it because it has balanced outputs and I thought it could replace my computer music server and DAC in addition to providing an SACD capability that I've never had. Unfortunately, its analog output stage is nowhere near as good as anything I've had in my system in many years. Either that or its internal DAC is not very good. At any rate, I cannot tolerate the downgrade in fidelity it provides so I've connected its digital output to my April Music Eximus DP1 DAC in order to get back to a listenable system again. The Eximus DP1 brings back the high fidelity but only with PCM digital. Unfortunately, it does not decode DSD or SACD. I borrowed a number of SACDs in anticipation of the Oppo BDP-105D's arrival, but they don't even sound as good as playing their PCM layer in an ordinary CD player. Oh, well. Live and learn!

Best regards,
John Elison

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Oh, no, I bought an Oppo BDP-105D... - John Elison 15:29:53 03/11/14 (102)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.