Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Oh no, I need a new player!

I have spoken with Bill Thalmann recently about my issue with my SCD-1, after a lot of questions and listening(he was exceptionally helpful and forthright) to what he had to say, we kind of determined it was the laser that was starting to go bad. He did recommend I open the machine and give both lens a good clean to which I did but to no affect. He then went on to suggest I to start looking for new lasers if I wanted to stay with the player for the foreseeable future. He also did suggest staying away from used units, as in his experience they mostly tend to be as spent as the one you are replacing.

So I did...,and the quantity of new offerings were almost zero, used offerings were very few, pricing on both was just ridiculous. Coming to a conclusion, I just didn't want to become hostage to resellers of Sony parts to keep my SCD-1 going no matter now much I loved this unit. So, remembering what Bill had said and the fact that Sony has abandoned providing new part replacements, has left me thinking it was time to let someone else, hopefully who had the foresight to stock up on maintenance parts, to have a chance to own this top end and notable piece of history.

One final note, speaking with Bill T, he did say they too do mods to the Oppo 105, which he did have a lot of good things to say about. I'm not going into details as I'd rather not quote others here, but frankly he was super impressed with this current Oppo offering.

Sadly the SCD-1's time, for me, has come...

Regards,
Bill

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.