Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Oh no, I need a new player!

I listened to stock SCD-XA5400ES for about a year before having another modified with Vacuum State Terra Firma. I have no question that in my listening space with my components the Vacuum State mods noticeably improved Redbook disc SQ. By improve I mean zero listening fatigue without any loss in resolution gain in detail. I've heard wider/deeper soundstaging on more expensive players such as the Esoteric K-03 (the transport light years better than on the Oppo/Sony players) and a tubed EAR (Redbook only) player. With Vacuum State 5400 breathing from reeds, chair squeaks, patter of audience on live recordings all sounded better with the Vacuum State unit. There is however much honesty that everyone's situation, space, hearing, components, etc. etc. vary from that of others. I think Jack Roberts Dagogo review of the Vacuum State SCD-XA5400ES was spot on, even down to his appreciative comments about the Marantz Pearl disc player which I had in shop awhile. Even with the improvements in Dac's since 2006/7 the stock 5400 is worth buying today, but I understand many want more bells and whistles of something like the top Oppo. I had the previous top Oppo and it was pretty good especially for retail price but not my favorite compared to the bone stock 5400, but especially not as good as the Vacuum State modified 5400 but that's unfair comparison in price. Better compare the modified 5400 (either Modwright or Vacuum State) with the better Marantz players.

Edits: 03/08/14 03/08/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.