Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Sony HAP-Z1ES conversion of RB PCM to DSD

I've had the sony for a week now, so a little too early to be definitive. Since people in general cannot even agree as to whether DSD or hi-res PCM sounds "better", it is likely impossible to definitively answer your question to everyone's satisfaction. The answer depends much more on what someone 'likes' than on which is better.

The answer, for me, depends more on the Redbook CD in question, and how it was recorded initially than anything else. So far, my initial feeling is that I'm happier turning the DSD conversion off and just listen to the Native PCM. This is especially true for my hi-res PCM tracks where I think the DSD conversion is definitely a mistake. For Redbook files, the results are mixed, IMO. Some might care for it all of the time, some might care for it only on some recordings. On the whole, for me, for Redbook, I'm slightly more comfortable leaving the DSD conversion 'off'.

I've had a dCS stack for years, so blanket DSD conversion has always been an option for me. I never liked it using the dCS either, and I say this as someone who likes DSD provided the music was actually recorded in DSD at the outset. Like the DCS conversion, up sampling Redbook to DSD with the Sony tends to make things sound 'tizzy'. Some people hear this, some don't. Some like the effect, some don't. I don't, personally. Once you hear it, you can never not hear it.

Is the HAP-Z1ES as nice sounding as the dCS? No, but it would be ridiculous to think that was possible at the price. The Sony, however, is an amazing value at $2,000, and the amount of technology on display, and the thought with which it has been implemented is extremely impressive. There are things in terms of general usability the Sony can do that the dCS cannot. This is the best audio money I have spent in a decade.

Buying one of these to make Redbook files sound better completely misses the point, in my opinion, after living with this for a week. There is no competition for this machine, at its price point, either sonically or in terms of capabilities, or ease of use. You are certainly not going to put together a DIY computer playback system with dac and software which works as seamlessly as this does and sounds as nice as this does, for $2K. Do I have things which sound better? Yes, but at multiples of the cost. The $38,000 analog front end in the same system sounds better. Would a $2,000 analog front end, no matter how lovingly assembled, sound better, or as good? Not in my experience.

Other early observations: the iOS app is fantastic, and makes the Apple Remote app seem like a primitive kludge. Simply a visual and ergonomic joy to use.
Right out of the box, cold, it sounded absolutely horrible. To say that I thought it was broken is not an exaggeration. Give it a couple of days.
The internet radio capability is a real plus over what I am used to in iTunes. As noted in TAS, the Sony DSEE works wonders with compressed files, but turn it off otherwise.
The manual is not very good, and even that one has to go on line for since there is only a perfunctory quick start manual in the box.
There seem to be a lot of operational possibilities which one cannot even find in the online manual, but that manual has so many links that it is possible I just haven't ferreted it out yet.
Initial view, subject to later revision, is that there is not the easiest learning curve. Maybe I'm to blame.
Moving files over has been the most opaque process. I've been getting it done, but thinking there is more to doing it correctly and expediently than can be gleaned from the documentation. Hardly a one time drag and drop, but again there remains the distinct possibility that there is a better way. Given how well the rest of this machine is implemented, I'd have to think so, just have not conquered this yet. The Sony constantly updates the music files on the internal drive to match changes of addition or subtraction you have made to the original files on the computer or HD you originally accessed, if you set it up that way.
The Sony pulls album covers and track data from Gracenote seamlessly, and is much, much, much better at doing this correctly than iTunes ever thought of doing. I have no idea why this should be so, but it is. Album covers which iTunes won't find are no problem for the Sony.
Player just exudes quality in every aspect of appearance and use, and it plays any and every kind of file with no need for any kind of user switching or input at all. Refreshing ease of use there, with no glitches so far.

I am more than glad I made the purchase and can't imagine any reasonable person not feeling the same.

Again, these are early observations, but best I can do at this point. Hope this helps anyone considering this piece of equipment.

Best,

Larry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.