Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Is DoP true DSD?

"As Steinberg has not made ASIO an open standard implementations generally require licencing, support and permissions from Steinberg"

What is this licensed Steinberg technology? As far as I can see ASIO is just a software interface. I would be surprised if there were any real intellectual property beneath it other than a trademark. There may be software implementations subject to Copyright, but these can easily be rewritten.

"Simple in principle but a stroke of genius, that pretty much resurrected DSD from the dead."

DoP is, at best a "neat hack". It's a kluge that would be obvious to anyone with experience in software engineering. In the computer networking field it is quite common to "encapsulate" one data format so that it appears to the transmission system to be a different format. Sometimes the resulting transmission paths are called "tunnels". DOP has its problems, mostly relating to the use of "in band" control channel signalling. It is difficult enough to achieve a smooth transition in a DAC between PCM playback and DSD playback (because of the inability of DSD to easily represent DC) without creating all kinds of problems in a pipelined system involving the file, application program, interface wrapper, device driver, hardware interface, interconnect protocol encoder, interconnect protocol decoder, synchronizer, and multi-mode DAC chip. If anything is amazing about DOP it is that a group of companies came to agree on a particular kluge. (More or less, as there are various variants of DOP.)

A much better way to deal with this situation is to recognize that DSD is just another in an extant family of sampled data, all of which can be easily characterized by three parameters: sample rate in Hz, bits per sample, and number of channels. There is no need for any klugery.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Is DoP true DSD? - Tony Lauck 10:52:34 02/07/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.