Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: In What Way Are dCS Overpriced?

Some years ago, I concluded that the dCs consumer products are oriented to people who follow the "more is better" philosophy of (over) engineering, not the KISS philosophy.

My take on the dCs "stack" architecture is that it made sense in the 1990's when more processing required more computers, but makes no sense in the 2010's when processors are arbitrarily faster. I can see spending lots of money for a high quality DAC, but not for anything earlier in the stack. This is especially true of the disk spinning / laser mechanisms. There is simply no reason for such gadgets to be powered up and spinning at all while listening to music, IMO. Since the data on "coasters" can be copied to other forms of digital storage it is absurd to spend lots of money on mechanisms that wear out. Nothing in my signal path spins when I am listening to music. The audio data is sitting in RAM memory. Over the years I have replaced several CD/DVD drives on my computers and never paid more than $50 for a replacement, never used more than a screwdriver to do the job, and never wasted more than 15 minutes. I am not impressed at all by expensive spinning mechanisms used to read digital media. IMO, if one enjoys watching impressive rotating machinery play music one should get a Studer tape machine or a top shelf LP playback where there is a real connection between mechanical construction quality and sound quality.

As to AES encryption, I presume this somehow relates to DRM. I don't do any form of DRM as I consider it evil. For this reason I have never purchased an SACD, nor will I ever do so. (If I didn't live in a Fascist country with a law that makes breaking DRM a crime then I might have purchased SACDs and ripped them to my computer so I can play them out of RAM using a DSD DAC.) IMO, the inclusion of DRM is one of the main reasons why SACD has failed in the marketplace. Fortunately, the DSD digital format has now been liberated.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.