Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: In What Way Are dCS Overpriced?

I take your point about apples v.apples.

In regard to your final query about dCS pricing, there was a point some years ago when they were producing two versions of the same products, one for studio the other for home use. Virtually identical internally the home use version was far more expensive. However the cost differential (about 2K GBP inc. tax)was entirely caused by the luxury chassis that this version had. There was little mark up involved as the raw chassis from their supplier(s)I found out was a pricey item. Of course if you didn't want it then dCS would have been happy to sell you the plain vanilla studio version.

JA makes the point on Sterophile's review of the latest product ( Vivaldi) that the fact the transport costs so much is due to the factory gate price of the mechanism that they use from Esoteric.

One also pays for the fact that no proprietary DAC, EFM decoder chips etc. are used. All code is unique to dCS.Of course you need to accept that the dCS coding is superior fro this point to have value.

Then there is the updating facility which is available because of the above. This weekend dCS sent me the CDRs to upgrade my player to allow:

- The Transport to generate Dual AES encrypted DSD and the DAC to accept it - an alternative to 1394.

- The DAC's inputs will now handle up to 24/192 plus DSD in DoP format on single wire interfaces, up to 24/384 plus DoP on Dual AES.

- The Upsampler's inputs and outputs (single wire or Dual AES) will handle up to 24/192 plus DoP.

- Word Clock Inputs will accept up to 192kHz.

Cost of these upgrades? Nothing. This adds another dimension to consideration of value v. expense.

Edits: 01/26/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.