Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: In What Way Are dCS Overpriced?

Although I can see some kind of outline justification for your point , it is difficult to understand how it can work in practice.

Presumably if one plays a recording with a dCS converter which has also been made using dCS converters that's OK. However that overlooks the other equipment that has also been used on the recording, the microphones, the mixer etc. The total cost of which for a traditional studio e.g. Abbey Road, will probably exceed that of most home replay systems (plus of course the cost of the studio build, recording staff costs etc.).

However if the next recording chosen for play has been recorded in a bedroom on a computer using some of the cheap but clever gear available these days then should one ideally switch to another replay rig using cheaper components?

Of course hifi replay equipment is also made to fit in with a domestic environment where plain metal boxes and black paint finishes may not be acceptable. This adds cost but contributes nothing to the sound. I could have saved a few quid by buying a pair of black studio ATC monitors but , I hope understandably, chose to buy the same item but with a beautiful rosewood veneer.

In reality the type of recording equipment is usually unknown to the person replaying the record. So all that we can do is try to optimise our replay chain in the widest sense and in its own terms. The result may sometimes exceed the cost of the recording chain and sometimes represent only a fraction of it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.