Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Please re-read my post carefully

I am saying that the phenomenon reflects a problem unique to the Beveridge direct-drive amplifiers. They are unusually prone to oscillation due to the circuit design. In this case, only one of two amplifiers goes into oscillation, the one driving the R channel speaker. I am not saying that there is anything at all wrong with the Ayre or Pioneer units. Indeed, I think the Ayre C5XeMp is the best one-box off-the-shelf CD/SACD player I have ever heard.

It is not easy to work on the amplifiers, because when in use they are built in to the base of the speaker and are totally inaccessible. On the other hand, when you take them out on to the workbench, their behavior is "different", because they are not coupled to the ESL panels inside the Bev speakers. Then too, the output stage develops +/-1600V (3200V from pos to neg), which is a bit scary on the workbench. So it's not easy to trace down the cause, but we are going to try, first by investigating why one amp tolerates the SACD output and the other does not.

If I'd had my druthers, I would have deleted this thread, but once there was a response, I was not allowed to do so. Nevertheless, I welcome bright ideas.

Fortunately for me, I have another more conventional system in which I can implement the Ayre. And it's also possible that using the balanced outputs from the Ayre will ameliorate the problem with the Bevs.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.