Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: DSD vs PCM

One thing to bear in mind is that no modern ADC or DAC chips are single-bit converters. The intention of DSD, AFAIK, was that a single-bit ADC would create a DSD bitstream that would be converted back to analog using a single-bit DAC. It was found that single-bit converters, though simple in theory, have their own problems and multi-bit oversampling converters are used in all modern audiophile equipment. For the ADC, the sigma-delta conversion part is the same whether DSD or PCM but the data output format is different. For the DAC the conversion to analog may be different depending on whether the input is PCM or DSD. (Note, I haven't looked at the datasheets of current converter ICs so I don't know this for sure but I would suggest that there are differences in the DAC conversion process of the two formats). One suggestion that has been made is that the high level of ultrasonic noise inherent in the DSD format could act as a high level of dither that would help linearize the DAC.

Also good technical arguments have been made that show limitations in the DSD format and now that true one-bit converters are no longer used it would seem DSD is doubly handicapped. But, DSD is getting a lot of good press and, like a lot in audio, good technical performance doesn't mean preferable sound quality. I haven't heard a good comparison but I like the idea of being able to play back material in DSD that was recorded in DSD. I have read of some using software to convert their hi-rez PCM files to DSD for playback - I think this points to a difference in the DAC process between the two formats.

Regards
13DoW

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: DSD vs PCM - 13th Duke of Wymbourne 16:25:17 01/23/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.