Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

A puzzling DSD vs PCM observation, I think

I recently acquired an Ayre C5XeMP. I am using it to feed a Klyne preamplifier which, in turn, drives the built-in direct-drive amplifiers in a pair of Beveridge 2SW speakers. I was immediately blown away by the performance of the Ayre with RBCDs, so naturally I was eager to see what it can do with SACDs. What I get is a very noticeable "white noise" overlying the audio signal and only on the R channel. The L channel sounds excellent with zero problems. I verified that the SACD was not defective by playing two more SACDs of very different origin, and both of them also gave the same problem; I noted that the white noise was a little more or less intense with the different SACDs but always there. I then pulled out my old Pioneer DV59Avi SACD/CD/DVD player and was able to demonstrate that I get the very same white noise in the R channel with the Pioneer, so I tend to think the Ayre is not "broken". Further, when I swap channels by using the "Reverse" mode setting on the Klyne, the intensity of the noise does lessen a bit, but it does not move to the L channel. These results all point to a problem with the Beveridge direct-drive amplifier that would have to be uniquely associated with SACD reproduction, because that speaker sounds great with analog and RBCDs.

Then last night I borrowed a Sony SA5400XE CD/SACD player and inserted it into the system. The problem vanished. The Sony sounds absolutely terrific with no issues whatever. So now, based on the idea that the Ayre and the Pioneer convert DSD to PCM, whereas the Sony is straight DSD, I am wondering how conversion of DSD to PCM could play a role in generating this annoying white noise in one channel. I might add that the audio signal under the white noise is also not optimal; there is some audible distortion, although the music is there.

Any ideas from guru's here are welcome.

Edit: I am sure someone will confirm one way or the other, but I was just told from another source that in fact the Ayre does not convert DSD to PCM, which makes my whole idea moot.

Edits: 01/23/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - A puzzling DSD vs PCM observation, I think - Lew 07:19:33 01/23/14 (24)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.