Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Received my K-03 Settings Info

We I have to come to a conclusion after listening to many CD's and well recorded ones that I do not like the up sampling I like much better ORG. You lose detail and dynamics, almost like a film around the music, much like PS Audio and others believe that native sounds best then up sampling, I know I did not like it much in the Cary 306 I owned years ago.

I do like s-dly 1 though, but I have to say the filter off sounds good also on some discs. I believe this is the setting preferred by the designers of the unit neither filter on. Though the imaging becomes very detailed and sharp sound, with tight bass when no filters are engaged. The sound stage is smaller and tighter though, but not bright.

I would agree with this reviewers statement: Much has been discussed about the plethora of settings available for CD reproduction. Time can be saved by using no upsampling (ORG) eschewing 2X, 4X or DSD. All of the upsampling settings pervert much of the K-01's magic. Soundstage shrinks, impact is ameliorated and fine detail is obscured. As for filters, my recommendation is S_DYL1. Some might prefer F1R1, but on a high resolution, state of the art system, the former filter sounds more natural. I think for most discs this is a very fair statement. I heard the same thing.

This CD player is just wonderful though, so natural, with details and sounds so clear and I would guess a noise level so low that small sounds just stand out in their own space.

I am using Quad ESL 63's and they have a very transparent sound and they really bring to the front and quickly what each filter change does to the presentation.

The nice thing though is having them you really have the ability to have a sound that works best for your ear, kind of like owning 3-4 different CD players that you own and pick the one that works best in your system.

Even with no filters used (off) this is still one fine and musical piece of equipment, I can see why so many enjoy this unit. For now I am going to sit back and just enjoy it.

I am glad I read all my manuals, be cause my preamp XLR pin is + hot, and McIntosh amp is negative-Cold which is the European/Japan XLR pin setup. Why they do this is beyond me. Even reviewers don't catch this and thus you will have a reviewer say the unit sounded overly warm, veiled and so forth, well yeah if you don't get the polarity proper. If I had not caught I been basing my view on system that was out of proper phase.

This is a great musical and refined sounding player of music. Forget the convenience of down loads, hear your CD collection with a unit like this and you will enjoy listening to CD's, no matter how the mags try to tell you different, CD's can sound very, very good, and I'm talking even CD's 15 years old. This player bring out stuff you never thought your CD's had on them and it does it by staying so natural sounding. This is not like Esoteric of the past.
PJB

Edits: 01/04/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.