Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Your explanation sounds the best: likely 3 generations

of tape.....

The recording that leaves the recording studio is the final mix. It sounded one way on the 2 channel mix-down, reel-to-reel deck played through the speaker system in the recording studio. Then it was given to the manufacturing plant and MORE EQ was added, as well as compression, and noise gates and limiters, as well as the level setting. This is applied as the lathe is cutting the lacquers.

So a recording could very well have been improved from the recording studio to the mastering plant: this is just with vinyl.

Then, depending on WHAT "masters" or final mix-down tapes the people who built the DSD files from had, - they could have applied similar limiters, EQ, gates, etc. when the computer constructed the DSD computer files.

Likely, if Mobile Fidelity is using a certain playback system to listen to the new DSD mixes, they MAY decide to "warm it up."

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Your explanation sounds the best: likely 3 generations - Sordidman 10:13:55 12/24/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.