Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Jared Sacks visit to SF (Lafayette)

I just wanted to add to what Robert and Ruben said below, and to thank Jared for his wonderful generosity in visiting with us and sharing information about Channel Classics. During the course of the afternoon, we listened to a number of CC recordings, starting with the Ivan Fischer / BFO Mahler 1, which was so impressive in its freedom from congestion of any kind - what a great recording! (I must also say what a good sport Jared was about listening through my Marantz universal player which converts DSD to PCM for Audyssey room correction, etc. - no pure DSD for us yesterday!) I also felt that the spread of the sound was impressive - no gaps in the aural picture.

From there we went to the subtleties of the Ragazze String Quartet playing the second movement of Schubert's "Death and the Maiden" Quartet, which won't be released until next week I believe. The living quality of the sound as it reverberated off the wooden surfaces of the church where it was recorded was fascinating and certainly produced a gratifying warmth in the sound!

We also heard Mahler's "arrangement" of Beethoven's "Serioso" Quartet, Op. 95 for string orchestra (what did Mahler do - add some double bass parts?), which had a splendid depth of sound as performed by the Amsterdam Sinfonietta.

I was particularly interested in the album by the Swedish Radio Choir (the group made so famous by Eric Ericson, who really brought them to the highest level of choral singing) - we listened to a couple of tracks from their Nordic Sounds 2 album. I had never heard the music before, but the singing and and the engineering were phenomenal - their current conductor, Peter Dijkstra, seems to have reinvigorated them and I'm so glad that Channel Classics has them under contract now!

There was also an album of Philip Glass music, played on the harp by Lavinia Meijer. A little of this music can go a long way for me, but I must say that the performance and sonics were simply beautiful.

We also listened to part of Channel Classics' new Britten offering, which includes Les Illuminations, the Serenade, and other works (we listened to parts of the Serenade) played by James Gilchrist (tenor), Jasper de Waal (horn), Amsterdam Sinfonietta and Candida Thompson. De Waal is first horn in the Concertgebouw Orchestra and sounded magnificent in this showpiece for his instrument.

During the course of conversation, Jared mentioned the there are planned new releases with Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra of the Mahler Fifth, the Bruckner Seventh, and (next year) the Mahler Ninth. A complete Mahler series is not planned nowever, although we all suggested that a Mahler Third from Fischer and the BFO would also be very welcome!

In summary, I was once again impressed with what a consistenly state of the art product that Jared puts out, and how concerned he is with the satisfaction of his customers as well as his personal relationship with them - not just with the small group that assembled at my house on Sunday, but with all his customers all over the world. Jared was also very forthcoming as Madeline (my wife) grilled him on the amount of editing that's done on recordings these days - in general with all labels, not just at Channel Classics. (Well, she didn't actually grill him, but he gave us all some interesting things to consider about this topic.) So, thanks to our guests (Robert, Ruben, and Russell), and thanks to Jared for meeting with us and sharing his insights!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Jared Sacks visit to SF (Lafayette) - Chris from Lafayette 01:16:27 03/05/13 (25)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.