Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Absolutely incorrect

The digital volume control in the ESS SABRE chip can sound very good. I think the tradeoff may be system dependent. People will have to listen in their system before reaching a valid conclusion about volume controls.

I run my Mytek directly into my Focal powered speakers and I have tried both the digital and analog volume control option for the Mytek. I prefer the digital, as it is cleaner than the analog volume control. There is no noise out my speakers at any setting of the volume control, even with my ear right up to the drivers. Typical attenuation for symphonic music at concert volumes has a volume setting of -17 dB. For some pure DSD live recordings that are mastered at low levels, the setting might get to -12 dB. Small scale music would be from -20 to -25 dB. This is after reducing the gain of the IV converter by -6 dB by putting in the four jumper resistors. (Note that doing so requires some additional burn in for best sound.)

It is possible that a passive preamplifier could sound better, but I am suspicious, as there will be interaction between the cabling and the input circuits of the amplifiers. I doubt that an active preamp could be as transparent as what I am getting. IMO a longer signal path equals more distortion. In some system environments this might not be the case. I am running balanced into the amplifiers.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Absolutely incorrect - Tony Lauck 06:47:49 01/30/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.