Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

BDP-S790 stereo analog out vs HDMI

I am surprised how much better the HDMI output sounds compared to past models - even the much pricier BDP-S5000Es which I sold, which the buyer refuses to sell back to me.

I connect the analog stereo output into my AVR's m-ch input, and compared the HDMI 4 input (which the S790 HDMI output is connected) to the analog m-ch (which the S790 analog stereo out is connected to) and is surprised how close they sound to each other.

On my AVR I did the HDMI video assignment, to allow the HDMI 4 input to follow the analog m-ch input whenever it is being used, so that when I switch from HDMI 4 to analog m-ch, the video screen remains on the tv screen, allowing me to do track selection as per normal.
(see above picture on HDMI input assignment)

Very useful and convenient feature!

Except for deeper bass extension, and ever slightly more vocal richness from the analog stereo outs, the HDMI is almost indistinguishable.
Spaciousness and ambient cues reproduction are not diminished.

This player sounds very enjoyable playing RBCDs, and SACDs.
I am beginning to quite like the way the s790 sounds.
I can listen to an entire cd from beginning till end on this Sony cheapo player, just like on the 100 times more expensive emm lab system.
I can't do the same with the oppo 105....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - BDP-S790 stereo analog out vs HDMI - jeromelang 22:08:31 12/26/12 (15)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.