Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: that wasn't the point

I have a few dozen BIS recordings, these are in the form of 44/24 or 44/16 downloads from eclassical.com. I picked my most recent purchase, Symphony of Psalms and Rite of Spring. Bissie is correct, the 0 dBfs was reached in the Rite of Spring in 44/16 format. Using short term RMS measurements I measured the dynamic range of this recording to be 50 dB, and the signal to noise ratio about 55 dB. (The "signal" was music that started quietly, I took care not to measure hall reverberations.) In a room that is decently quiet there is no problem hearing pianissimo passages with this recording that a few seconds later become 50 dB louder Fortissimo. (This wasn't possible for me last week, but I have since moved two noisy computers out of my listening room.)

I believe that Cookie does most if not all of her master recordings on tape and transfers to DSD at a later stage. This gives her the luxury of keeping her levels down as she gets a chance to make adjustments as needed on a second pass over her tapes. This isn't possible when recording direct to dSD since there is no way to increase the level without a generation loss of sound quality. I have DSD recordings that light up the "red" 0 dB lights on my Mytek DAC, but there is presently some debate as to what these lights mean with DSD. It seems likely that these recordings are 1 or 2 dB over the Scarlet book "0".

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: that wasn't the point - Tony Lauck 14:38:32 06/21/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.