Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: BIS SACD - Dynamics in general

Robert - I agree that classical recordings should be uncompressed, and I follow the logic of what you do in your own recordings. But, it seems a stretch to extend your logic to some of the other fine labels in hi Rez classical recording. It seems you do that by inference rather than by actual knowledge. Or, am I wrong in that assessment?

Many of those, like Channel, Telarc, Pentatone, anything done by Polyhymnia or Sound Mirror and others, all use DSD recording and mastering, unlike you. I am not sure if that makes a difference as far as compression goes or not. Either with DSD or PCM, it seems to me that there is such a huge range of possible dynamics over the low noise levels inherent in hi Rez, that they might simply be choosing average levels lower than yours. It seems to me they could be doing this without compression and without much sonic consequence. Of, course, how they adapt that to the CD layer of hybrid recordings, may be another story, and may well involve some compression. I do not know, and actually, I do not care, as I never listen to the CD version.

In any case, I count BIS as one of the best labels out there and, unlike our poor misguided disbeliever, who appears to have a serious dynamic headroom problem in his system and in his feeble brain, I generally find them a pleasure to listen to.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.