Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I think you misread this

not advocating for compression, just stating the realities of recordings, room acoustics, and real dynamic range of music. 70 to 80 db is pretty much all you get on playback, even if your hi res digital chain has a stated S.N of 120 db. Any wider range will make you reach for the volume control to either compensate for room noise or distortion. It would also be interesting to get some real dynamic range numbers for various pieces as they are performed in real environments. Having a very wide dynamic range available to the recording engineer is a good thing, make it possible to make the recording sound as realistic as possible. Pretty certain almost nothing has that wide a dynamic range :). As a practical matter the peaks should be as close to the max signal level as possible thus allowing the quietest passages to be well above the noise flow of the system, and give the quiet passages the maximum possible resolution. Compression is a non linear function therefore is a form of distortion.

dee
;-D
True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.

quote by Kurt Vonnegut

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I think you misread this - Penguin 18:10:20 06/13/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.