Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Noise levels and dynamic range

Robert - I think I agree with you in general about BIS recordings. I find them to be one of the better teams, but I would not give their sound the very highest ratings. Agreed that, once again in general, the results achieved by teams/labels such as Channel, Pentatone, Polyhymnia, Sound Mirror and a number of others are usually superior and remain my favorites sonically. Overall, I would give BIS at least a solid B, though, with some examples better than that. I have no hesitation about buying them.

Having said that, the recent Sibelius/Vanska/Minnesota disk on BIS is part of their new direction in recording at 96/24. I find that disk to be superior to the other BIS recordings I have and, in fact, one of the best orchestral recordings I own. Possibly, that is just the increase in sampling frequency, but I am sure BIS made a number of other engineering changes in the process, which may or may not have been even more significant. In any case, the volume still needs to be turned up to appreciate it, as with all BIS's I am familiar with.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.