Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: BIS SACD

No compression should ever be used for any classical recording. If the producer wants to limit the dynamic range he should inform the musicians, not the engineers. They can make appropriate adjustments that will preserve their artistry. Engineers will butcher things.

I noticed the absence of speaker compression almost immediately after getting my tri-amplified Focal near field monitors. This correct reproduction of the Fortissimo passages was a huge improvement over any previous sound reproduction that I'd had. Now the limit on playback volume is just my ears. I do have an issue on warm days with fan noise from my computers during pianissimo passages. This wasn't a problem in February, but I will have to fix this before August when the fans rev up to higher RPMs.

I have the Sudbin Rachmaninov in the original (44/24) format. The dynamics are pretty amazing. However, I prefer the Sudbin Scriabin album, same format. Another very nice piano recording I just got is the Lazic Schubert B flat major piano sonata from Channel Classics in a 2 channel DSD download from the Channel Classics web site. Lazic has a very nice piano tone and gets lots of volume out of the instrument without banging on it.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: BIS SACD - Tony Lauck 18:13:40 06/09/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.