Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

possible problems

"PS3>HDMI>dembedder>coax>alesis masterlink> coax DAC"

#1 What HDMI de-embedder are you using?

#2 Why the Alesis Masterlink in the chain? (I'm guessing to record, right? If not, lose it.)

First, I would send the signal from the de-embedder directly to the DAC and see what shows up as the sampling rate. There is a possibility that the chip in the de-embedder doesn't show 88.2kHz to the PS3's HDMI chip as an accepted sample rate. If that's the case, I would return it, give it away or pitch it 'cause it's garbage. If you get 88.2kHz from a native 88.2kHz track, then the problem is either the Alesis itself (possibly won't output >48kHz via its digital output) or a setting on the Alesis (check the Menu to see if the max output can be increased). I tried to download the .pdf manual for the Alesis, but they want you to register before they will allow it -- which is entirely unnecessary -- so I couldn't check the allowable output sample rates or available options for you. Perhaps you need to tell it that you want to record at 88.2kHz, but I can't say because of their bullshit download policy.

Again, get the Alesis out of the chain so that you can verify that the DAC is receiving 88.2kHz from the de-embedder. If yes, you can troubleshoot the Alesis from there. If no, you'll need a different de-embedder.

"I can't uncheck 16/44.1 or 24/48 in the PS3 menu."

As I said, there are some boxes that cannot be unchecked on the PS3. The only boxes that should show up as checked, after you've gone through the HDMI output checklist, is 2-channel 44.1kHz, 2-channel 88.2kHz and 2-channel 48kHz -- nothing else (at least for these testing purposes) -- and you need to verify that you're playing a real 88.2kHz recording.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.