Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Thinking about upgrading my SACD player

Hello DB, I have not had an opportunity to A/B various CD players to determine their character, strengths and shortcomings. Instead, I tend to depend mostly on user and professional reviews and reputation in determining my high-end gear selection.

I found the reviews on the X-05 were overwhelmingly positive and I also was aware that Esoteric has long enjoyed a very respected reputation.

Most of my previous CD source came from a Sony 777ES modified by Warren Gregoire in N. Cal.

I was generally pleased with the sound but I felt that if fell short of my analogue set-up which I sold after we downsized. This was really not a fair comparison since my analogue system which consisted of a SME 20/2 TT, SME V arm and Shelter 90X cartridge was on an entirely differ level.

I pulled the trigger on the X-05 when I learned of a pre-owned unit being sold at a very fair price by a local dealer here in So. Cal. At the time Scott Walker, mentioned an upgrade to the X-05. My curiosity got the best of me and I shortly also purchased a pre-owned Esoteric Master Clock G-O3X. The improvement was subtle but unmistakeable. As a result, I have vigorously been adding to my extensive SACD collection.

The sound. I find the Esoteric very sensitive to the quality and format of the CD being played. In the past, I liked SACD and higher rez recordings but did not always hear a big difference between those and red book recordings. Not so with the X-05 and Clock.

After maybe listening 30 seconds, I was astounded by the improvement over my previous digital system. The SQ was much more analogue sounding than before. I found the sound more relaxed, engaging and dimensional. Sure, it may not quite measure up to my former analogue system playing 45 rpm disc but at times it gets very close.

Should you wish to talk to my dealer, Scott Walker with whom I have a high regard for let me know. He is a pleasure to work with. Hope this helps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.