Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Is it worth to get a Modded OPPO 93 or 95 for audio playback?

Just re-read some reviews and noticed the Absolute Sound mentioned the reticence in the bass region for the Oppo 95. Also, if you read carefully and between the lines, you will find that often times what seems to be a "Giant Killer" review is couched in terms that limit it's degree of awsomeness. Terms like, "it's the best SACD/CD player I have heard to date" or "it's the best I have had in my system". Of course this means just what it is intended to mean...that it's the best THEY have purchased and played at home...not the best period! Reviewers also tend to elaborate on the technical aspects and features more than actually concentrating on the audio only, let alone 2 channel. When they do give a favorable review, they also tend to make little side notes on the component(s) that turn out to be major problems after you purchase it:O( Bottom line as always is to trust your own ears, but remember, your perspective may be narrower in scope than someone elses. Of course, ignorance can be bliss...at least temporarily:O) I am amused at the fact that the Oppo 95 has op amps in place of a real discreet ouput stage, yet some seem to hear exceptional performance far beyond it's capabilities. Worth is in the ear of the beholder, and in our individual perspectives and experience. I will go on record by standing behind my claim that Team Oppo has deliberately voiced their 95 with a definate "sound" that is neither neutral nor faithful to the music. Afterall, it's the only way you could attempt to make it sound bigger and more spacious than it otherwise could, sans a proper output stage. Of course all the above is IMHO

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.