Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Is it worth to get a Modded OPPO 93 or 95 for audio playback?

Bought from dealer fully broken in (400+hrs demo)and settled in for 1 week before I decided it just wasn't that good. Remember, I didn't save up for it or feel as though I had to keep it for any reason...in other words, I didn't have any new toy psychology going in that would normally sway ones evaluation toward the positive. I sold it quickly at a minimal loss. evaluation was in my sitting room system, which consists of an NAD C375BEE IA, Denon A100 SACD/CD player, a Yaquin Tube stage buffer wt a Phillips JAN6922 tube, MIT Shotgun 3.3 cabling all around including in the pre-amp jumper position, Audioquest NRG 10 PC's for the Buffer and Denon and an MIT M AC2 PC for the NAD. I also have a B&W PV1D sub augmenting my PM1 speakers. I have owned reference gear from ARC, Mark Levinson, Krell, Musical Fidelity and McIntosh...among many others. Front ends have been reference level from the above companies and others with various cables including Transparent Reference and MIT Oracle. Music I used has been heard on all the aforementioned systems over the years, so they are a physical memory at this point, having heard them at their best. As any normal person would expect, the Oppo 95 falls way short of this gear, but I was surprised at just how odd it sounded to me in my home. I heard a definate sound being placed on top of the music, no matter what I played. It sounded exactly like some recievers I had used back in the 90's with DSP noise shapers that would generate their own idea of what say a "Concert Hall" would sound like. This is MY opinion and MY experience, with no axe to grind whatsoever. It simply is what it is:O) That shouldn't stop someone from looking for a value product like the Oppo or from considering it vs the competition.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Is it worth to get a Modded OPPO 93 or 95 for audio playback? - thebordas 13:40:20 03/12/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.