In Reply to: Glad it got your attention posted by madisonears on February 27, 2012 at 11:02:49:
I hope it didn't appear harsh and sarcastic - if so, I apologize!
I also wonder if my understanding of the OP's question was different from yours. I thought he was asking for the best recommendation for the Mozart Requiem on SACD, and I thought he needn't bother with the Karajan. But in the meantime, I listened again to my DVD-Audio, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I was remembering. I still can't imagine it would be considered the best of the SACD's, but your phrase, "forceful solemnity", certainly applies. OTOH, I still say that the choral singing is far from the best I've heard in this work (although it's certainly not the worst either).
In regard to the possible sonic differences between the DVD-Audio and the SACD, and assuming that they both used the 24/96 re-master, I would suspect that, if anything, the SACD might sound slightly worse. Why? Well because you start out with the impulse response compromises of PCM (not that they're necessarily audible!), and then you convert to SACD, where you can't get rid of the existing impulse response compromises, but then you add the ultrasonic noise of SACD, and, as other posters here have suggested, you've got the worst of both worlds - not that any of this is necessarily audible! ;-) But I've long championed the idea that DSD masters ought to be released on SACD, and PCM masters ought to be released on DVD-A or (now) blu-ray or downloads.
Anyway, thanks for the reasoned response, and sorry again if my post appeared offensive.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Mozart's Requiem - Pete Watt 09:26:42 02/22/12 (12)
- Not on SACD - jult52 05:55:37 02/28/12 (0)
- RE: Mozart's Requiem - QuadESL63 18:08:38 02/23/12 (1)
- Do you think that the Bohm Requiem is... - Pete Watt 09:30:53 02/24/12 (0)
- Mozart's Requiem on SACD - Kal Rubinson 11:56:46 02/22/12 (3)
- RE: Mozart's Requiem on SACD - jazz1 08:28:26 02/24/12 (1)
- Agreed. - Kal Rubinson 14:41:48 02/24/12 (0)
- RE: Mozart's Requiem on SACD - pbarach 15:26:53 02/22/12 (0)
- I can tell you a couple to avoid - Chris from Lafayette 11:31:31 02/22/12 (4)
- There goes your credibility - madisonears 11:07:45 02/25/12 (3)Follow Ups
- Actually, I don't think my post came out the way I intended - Chris from Lafayette 16:34:49 02/27/12 (0)