Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Agreed!

Here's an excerpt from SA-Cd.net I made in February 2011 about the Davis/Chandos Holst "Planets":

"It was with some indifference that I ordered this disc because I have never been a fan of Chandos recordings. There are no real bad experiences to report, but no "must have" discs either. But this recording just may usher in a newfound respect for Chandos. I received my copy today and was able to squeeze in a quick listen (to "Planets" only). I never make definitive decisions with respect to sound quality (or performance) based on a single listen and that caveat holds here, too. And today was a most gorgeous day in the Bay Area and that may have been a determining factor for my blatantly positive perception.

Nevertheless, I must say I found this recording to be among the most impressive I have heard on first listen in recent memory. There is a sonic purity or clarity across the frequency spectrum whether the music was turbulent or subdued. And this clarity is conveyed in a way that is most natural; not at all contrived. The striking clarity is found in all movements but I thought "Venus", "Mercury", and "Jupiter", and "Neptune" came just short of breaking new ground in this regard. Likewise, the dynamics and dynamic range is all that I can ask for in a recording. The sound stage (width, depth, height, and scale) is about picture (almost literally) perfect.

The multi-channel is as seamless as I have heard, approaching "no-channel" perfection.

Like many music lovers-audiophiles I have numerous performances and have heard it live. Indeed, I will hear it again at the Oakland Symphony on February 25. This performance, coupled with the un equaled sound quality among my "Planets", will easily make this my go to Holst "Planets" disc. I don't recall "Planets" being so "colorful" or Neptune so distant as conveyed here.

I may have a chance to listen again tomorrow as well as to the two Suites and hopefully solidify my first impressions.

By the way, the "not released designation" should be removed from the SA-CD.net description."

Robert C. Lang

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.