Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

So far so good!

I didn't get as much time to listen this weekend as I'd liked, but I have to say that what I've hear so far impresses. Generally, the sound of these SACDs is as close to good vinyl as we're likely to hear from any digital media. The differences between these discs and the corresponding RBCDs are very real, and all to the benefit of SACD. The Elgar disc in particular seems far less congested than the GROC edition, which really wasn't too bad to begin with. Balance between soloist and orchestra, whether Du Pre or Janet Baker, was much more natural sounding. Instead of the usual 5-minutes-of-this, 5-minutes-of-that audition, I found myself listening straight through to the entire Elgar disc. I loaded the Brahms Violin Concerto/Double Concerto, and before I knew it the final chords of the second piece were dying away. These discs invite that kind of long-term engagement.

Despite the undeniably stiff tariff, I'm very pleased. Tomorrow night: Holst, Dvorak, and more Brahms.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.