Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

My cost.

I don't really know how to answer that meaningfully. I traded in an Ayre CX-7e that was a few years old, and the C5-xeMP had about 100 hours on it, as it was a demonstrator.

I wouldn't pay $2500 for any unit that I couldn't listen to in advance or get a full refund if I didn't like it. I have learned the hard way that I should never trust anyone's opinon of how good something sounds. Ignoring my own rule, I made a mistake in buying the Sony 5400 for $800 new based on all the hype and the relatively low price rather than hearing it in advance. I thought that even if it wasn't as near as good as the C5, it would give me access to MCH; my Ayre doesn't. However, I found stereo on the Ayre provides a wider and deeper soundstage and better ambiance than the Sony on MCH. Still, I think the 5400 is a very good value for $800. I wish the display on the Ayre was as good, but there's more to a unit than its display.

Joe

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • My cost. - jsm 16:45:09 02/23/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.