Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Mods

When I said that the Sony tended to smooth things over, I didn't mean that the Ayre was harsher. With the Sony it is as if fine details in the waveform have been smoothed over, the sound is a bit lacking in detail and texture. My old Oppo was even worse in this regard. The bass difference shows itself in tha instruments that are playing only in realtively deep bass, say like a double bass. The Ayre reveals what kind of instrument is being used, while the Sony just produces bass sounds.

Not many years ago I would have been quite happy with the Sony, and I think it is a bargain at the $800 I paid for it. But after my recent upgrade of my TT to a Basis 2200 my standards have gone up a lot. I knew vinyl could sound good, but I was stunned how good it can sound on my new table. I have yet to hear an SACD on the Ayre that sounds better then top-quality vinyl.
I have little doubt that mods can improve the sound of a unit. I own a Marantz 8260 that I modded myself. I eliminated the output muting circuitry, I put in high-quality output caps, and I installed a new high-quality clock. The improvement was easy to hear, but even after that impropvement the Sony is still better than the Marantz. But I'm not about to have a mod done on the Sony without being able to hear for myself in advance whether it will outperform the Ayre, though there things in the ergonomics of the Sony that I like much better than the Ayre (e.g., the display).

Joe

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.