Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

...are waaaay overrated

There are some (not all) wonderful performances and a few sonic gems in the Living Stereo catalog, but I have owned almost all and sold about half of them because the sonics just didn't measure up to more modern recordings. It is certainly true that the SACD remasterings are the best we've ever heard these chestnuts, and a few are revelations of never to be surpassed performances with equally stunning sonics. The not so good ones are very disappointing, with enough extraneous noises and distortions to make listening a real struggle. Sometimes loud passages are just a cloudy mess. I can't tune out some of the louder tape hiss, and most of those recordings were made during the day when heavy traffic outside (or trains or ventilation systems) produced really objectionable rumble. If I wanted that kind of racket to spoil my concentration during the quiet passages, I'd still be playing vinyl!

The MLP discs I can hardly tolerate. They have a strident high end, making percussion, massed strings and sometimes even brass sound mechanical and edgy. Some perceive it as detail and presence, but I think SACD should sound much better than the equivalent of a bad PCM recording. I think I still have one MLP; all others have been sold and replaced with newer DSD recordings or regular CD's of old digital or analog stuff. I've tried and tried to enjoy these wonderful performances, but I cannot enjoy the music when it sounds so awful. In fact, they make me NOT want to listen.

To claim that all of these ancient documents are superior to or even the equal of modern recordings is, for the most part, absurd nostalgia. Although there are dozens of analogies that could apply, let's chose a simple one: if good modern recordings with all their accuracy and transparency and undistorted dynamic range are like driving a new performance car with powerful, high-efficiency engine and carefully engineered suspension and tires, then the old recordings are a ride to the beach in your rich uncle's beautifully restored 1957 Chevy Bel Air convertible with its clunky handling, fat whitewalls, and stinky exhaust. You might love your uncle and enjoy the ride in that wonderful old classic as a lark, but you'd much rather take the new vehicle to work every day.

Peace,
Tom E
berate is 8 and benign is 9

Edits: 08/20/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.