Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: There are precious few products from the 50’s that I find superior to products today

You wrote:

**** ....but RCA switched to 3-track tape machines in 1955, and Mercury did 3-track stereo from the beginning, as did Everest. This gave center fill.****

I did acknowledge, "center-fill"

I said:

"Some seem more like “mono” recordings but with two channels; that is, two mono recordings, left and right, with some center fill."

Also, I said *some* (not all). This is important because there cannot be a broad brush here.

But having acknowledged that there is "center-fill" the quality and depth of that center fill does not (almost always) match that of a modern recording, such as Telarc (since you mentioned that label). There is a key variable that may be notable (that can either weaken or strengthen my observations) I listen to the RCA Living Stereo primarily in three channel....which should be a plus. But I have made many comparisons with the two-channel tracks. The three channel is better (but not by the wide margin some espouse), but in ways not having necessarily to do with "center-fill".

By the way, I don't have enough experience with Mercury to make comments on that label.

You said:

***Multimiking later took over, ending the "Golden Age." Telarc returned to the 3 spaced omni technique. They deliberately imitated Mercury.***

Could it be that the microphones used by Telarc were superior (in almost all ways)? After 40-50 years I should hope so. Also, I have seen three mics employed differently. I suspect they yield different results.

Point is, the depth, height, spaciousness, frequency response, (not to mention other variables outside the purview of microphones), of RCA Living Stereo, as a rule, in my experience, do not approach that of Telarc. And while different audiophiles look for different things in "detail", I find that Telarc offers superior detail, albeit with greater contrast in loudness and perspective that I find to be an important detail in itself but others may not.

Of course, an important variable is that I listen to Telarc in multi-channel. But their multi-channel and two channel recordings are clearly “kissing cousins”.

I do hold RCA Living Stereo recordings in high regard. But some audiophiles seem to feel that they are beyond crtique. You have not expressed that point of view. I rarely find a recording that I have not heard some needed areas of improvment, even if they are quibbles that I may not voice.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: There are precious few products from the 50’s that I find superior to products today - Robert C. Lang 18:43:30 08/20/10 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.