Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Did you read Ric Schultz's take on mod'ing the Oppo? He thinks the NuForce mods are a waste

Hi Jazz,

I have a stock BP83 and IMHO the audio quality is pretty bad--analog 2 channel out. It is cold,dry and hard sounding. It is not at all analog sounding.It has a major case of digititis ! My previous machine was a stock Sony 9100ES video machine. The Sony's analog outputs sounded a magnitude better than the Oppo. So much so that on receiving the Oppo, I started looking around for a mod because the Oppo really sucked. After looking around, I came to the conclusion that buying an out board DAC was more cost effective than modding the Oppo. I could not justify spending 100% to 300% more of the purchase price of the Oppo to get it to sound good. There are allot of very good out board DAC's out there for $500 to $600. This way if I change my video machine later, I can use the Dac. There are some out board Dacs being made that are allot like-- in their stock form-- what the modders end up with when they modify a stock machine. I bought a Keces 131 MK2 and in stock form sounds really good. I then installed a set of Burson opamps and it sounds amazing!!

Now---for video, I think the Oppo BP83 is just about as good as it gets and the price is right. It's upscaler is great and Blu-Ray is also excellent. But--I think that most of the quality Blu-Ray machines on the market are all very good. But--allot of the good Blu-Ray machines don't have really good upscalers. That is where the Oppo blows them away.

I also think that after shopping around for a modder--Ric Schultz is probally the best, most cost effective modder out there. If I was going to mod a stock machine, I would definately use him.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.