Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: AVS gives me a headache and the moderators there are out of control

*** So it makes sense to me that NuForce is passing along to its customers a significant cost that has absolutely nothing to do with audio performance and everything to do with operations. ***

The audio quality of a component has very little to do with the cost of components, or the cost of labour.

My personal view is that a good design requires significant resources including circuit simulation in order to optimise the dynamic operating parameters.

I don't think Ric has either the expertise or the resources to do this.

NuForce doesn't either, but they are wise enough not to tamper (too much) with the circuit.

Oppo *may* have the expertise and the resources, but they are actually wise and smart enough to stick to the standard ESS recommended design.

ESS, like any other DAC manufacturer, does have the resources and expertise to do the extensive modelling and physical testing to optimise their recommended design.

*** Yeah but once you open the unit and take a gander at the audio board, isn't that all the knowledge of the design you need? ***

If only that was true. Ric's initial post describing the BDP-83SE design contained factual errors (requiring a response and a warning from Oppo), indicated that he did not fully understand the circuit. His description of the NuForce board seems to have missed out on over 30 changes that NuForce made to the design, which does not exact inspire confidence in me.

If you don't even understand what you are modding, how do you know your mods are effective?

It's easy to shoot down a competitor when you don't even understand what they have done (or not done).

How much "value for money" do you get from a non-optimal mod?

Edits: 12/23/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.