Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: AVS gives me a headache and the moderators there are out of control

>> *** I do think his point is valid about NuForce's overhead versus mods who don't have those expenses and can give you more parts/labor bang for your buck. ***

Personally, I doubt that.

Even assuming that both Ric and NuForce perform exactly the same changes (which is unlikely), I don't think Ric's "hand crafted" labour costs are going to match the economies of scale of NuForce's off-shore production line. <<

NuForce has to pay for offices and distributors that Ric isn't greasing. Plus you get the NuForce logo silk screened on the front panel. So it makes sense to me that NuForce is passing along to its customers a significant cost that has absolutely nothing to do with audio performance and everything to do with operations. Ric's smaller operation may even offer him a chance to tailor the Oppo mods more to an individual's taste rather than NuForce's one-size-fits-all approach.

>> One of the advantages of buying the NE is that you are buying a production unit with a warranty. <<

It's a one-year warranty. That doesn't scream to me that NuForce has a whole lot of confidence in its work.

>> But it's a moot point - it's not about the cost of components or the cost of labour. It's all about the design (and the knowledge behind it). <<

Yeah but once you open the unit and take a gander at the audio board, isn't that all the knowledge of the design you need? After that it's all about voicing tests with different parts you swap in and modify vs the stock version. I don't doubt the NuForce version is worth it, but Ric's comments also make sense to me, and might be worth considering. I'm kind of on the fence as to which direction to go--whether a mod'ed Oppo or a different universal unit. I'll see what's announced at CES.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.