Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Too flexy?

First, cute bikes.

Second, don't worry about modern Carbon frames. Those old school Carbon tube frames made with small diameter Carbon fiber tubing joined with steel lugs - those were noodly. But modern Carbon frames are plenty stiff, especially in the drivetrain where it counts.

My road bike is somewhat similar to yours: an evolving project based on a 10 year old Specialized Allez Comp frame with modestly oversize Aluminum tubing, much like your Giant. I've ridden a few newer Carbon framed bikes and also Carbon/Aluminum hybrids (e.g. Lemond) and they're way stiffer than mine. In fact, it's amazing how much raw performance you can get for your money now compared to when I started in cycling. One thing about Carbon though is that it feels somewhat "deader" or more damped than Aluminum, and a lot deader than steel. I'm not sold on the feel. Since I'm not so performance focused as I once was, I've thought of moving to one of those Italian steel frames with relaxed retro road geometry.

Hope you enjoy cycling. This is a relatively new hobby for you, right? If so, no wonder you don't hang around here so much anymore.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Too flexy? - DaveK 19:52:19 12/22/09 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.