Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I was looking at the interior of a 5400 yesterday at Vacuum State Electronics in Schaffhausen

That's great news. I value your musical insight, so I'm looking forward to you digging into the extant SACD catalogue and providing some reviews.

As noted in the subject line, I checked out the Sony yesterday.

This one was being modified by Allen. The Terra Firma clock on it's little board had been attached with special stand-offs made to fit, and the power supply lines had been run to the Sony PS board. The line supplying the clock to the DAC had not yet been added. This is the 5400 that Allen offered to modify for the first to reply - a member did, and sent his 5400, so it's under the surgeon's knife.

The Sony seems quite well made inside. There are two boards one on top of another that run almost full width at the back, and there is a power supply board on one side. There are two very nice looking transformers. I could see that the transport is different to the one in my XA777ES (having recently replaced it). The package looks pretty fine.

It will be interesting if Allen can modify this platform to the standard of the SCD-1, as this will give those interested in a top class player a chance to get current player modified. If it can be made to sound anything like the modified SCD-1 I heard, those who want to go this route are in for a treat.

Regards,
Geoff

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.