Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: It shouldn't really matter to you Mudman...

Apparently, you have not read the entire thread so let me summarize it for you.

--- Actually I did with the little time I have to surf. It appeared to me that the original poster was making the comparison of your no doubt rightly prized player with a modified SCD-1, hence the thread title "Esoteric DV-60 vs. SCD-1 with VSEI mods."

The original poster, who is a high-end audio manufacturer, made unfavorable comments about a stock Esoteric DV-60, a player I currently own and with which I am very familiar, as compared to a stock Sony SCD-1 (a player I used to own). I tried to be constructive by pointing out that the comparatively-less-than-stellar sonics he claimed to have heard from the DV-60 might have been the result of a lack of break-in hours on the player. The original poster then acknowledged (grudgingly, IMO) that the DV-60 in question was brand new, and that even after the comparison it had less than four hours on it on SACD and zero hours on CD.

--- Sorry, other than your mention of 4 hours on the player after the fact, I don't recall that the box was just opened. For that matter, have you not known dealers to actually sell the component on display, only to replace it with another from stock? That way the component is more fully burned in, thus the customer hopefully hears what he heard when in the store.

Now that you know that a high-end audio manufacturer conducted and then, in his second AA post ever, reported on what I think just about everyone here would consider to be a fatally flawed comparison between two SACD players (one fully broken in, and one not at all), what do you have to say?

--- The entire industry is flawed. Shoot, post a photo of your stuff and someone here will give you opinions on why it does not sound good by what they see. People here seem to spend more time reading rags and blogging about audio than actually listening to it. Case in point, go to a high end show and see if you can get a quiet moment in a room to actually listen to the stuff.

--- I bought an amp in the early 90s that was put down by Stereophile in favor of another one in the same issue. There were probably more variables in the two items under test (system compatability...) than the non review you are refering to. Heck, the manufacturer of the other amp was even interviewed in the same issue. Did I get my panties all in a wad because my amp was rated lower? No, it sounded fine in my rig. I got it for a good deal and I was happy with it, reviews be darned.

It is okay by me if you do not get fired up about such things, but if that is the case then why would you bother chastising someone who tries to correct the record?

--- I chastised no one. I just get a kick reading how audiophiles' little ids are hurt when someone puts their black box of choice down, regardless of the situation. It is not me that says, "it is all subjective," only to give high ratings on literally hundreds of components to assure all the end users in the club are happy. Had you spent 2 Gs on the VSE package maybe you would have ended up with the same sound you now have, or perhaps even better in the context of your system. You'd also have 3 or 4 Gs left over for more software. Now please post that photo for me.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: It shouldn't really matter to you Mudman... - Ozzie 16:52:21 03/28/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.