Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: It shouldn't really matter to you Mudman...

If you think the sonic differences between a stock Sony SCD-1 and a stock Esoteric DV-60 are "minute," then I would say save your money and keep on enjoying the SCD-1. I have heard both players over extended periods of time and have concluded that they are not in the same league. (Have you ever experienced a fully broken-in and properly programmed/set-up DV-60, or are you simply assuming it is not worth the extra money over an SCD-1?)

--- Sorry Mudman, I guess I was falsely under the impression this thread was about modded Sony players. So someone critiqued your often praised baby. So what! Regardless of what they said or who said it, it is only an opinion. Get over it. Hey, when I was a kid I had JBL L-300s. Feel free to bash. But then again, your opinion would only be valid if you heard them fully broken in in the context of your system. I did have vinyl at the time, so that made me cool.

As far as gloating is concerned, coming onto this board with one's second post of all time and announcing, after running a comparison with a brand new Esoteric DV-60 (but without disclosing such fact), that "most here" would agree that a stock Sony SCD-1 handily beats stock Esoteric DV-60 is hardly gloating. Rather, it can most charitably be described as blissful ignorance.

--- I don't believe anyone here would ever say that the stock Sony SCD-1 would best any player over say 2 Gs. None. A modded player however... And did I mention that most players over say 5 K are way over priced? Including your own. What exactly does one get for 8, 10, 15 or even 30 + grand? Sorry if my '67 Nova with a souped up small block kicks your Porsche's butt in the quarter mile.

But given that: (A) the original poster is in the high-end audio industry and should be familiar with the importance of break-in, and (B) considering the fact that he received his Esoteric DV-60 from an authorized Esoteric dealer who likely advised him that the DV-60 requires a minimum of 200-300 hours of play-time break-in to sound its best, and (C) since he was comparing the DV-60 to an SCD-1, a player that he presumably recalled required a similarly extended break-in to sound even halfway decent, and (D) considering the original poster's (what I consider to be) equivocating responses to questions about the number of hours he had on the DV-60, my personal opinion of the original post is not so charitable.

---- Sounds like you have a major hard on for anyone that critiques your stuff in any way. Then reread a positive review. That'll stroke your audio buying ego. As far as "break in" is concerned, two to three hundred hours sounds pretty long. As the caps should be pretty much fully formed by a day or so one has to wonder why it takes so long. Is it an issue with the transport mechanism? Or did you simply get used to how it sounded?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.