Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: It's simple those who do not get the full sonic benefit of SACD can still benefit from Surround Sound

The problem with DSD is that it can not be linearized. If there were two bits then proper dither could be used and noise modulation eliminated. As it is, there will always be some noise modulation with any 1 bit system. (More than 2 bits are necessary with noise shaping, roughly speaking the order of noise shaping has to be less than the number of bits.) If you look at the software documentation for the Weiss Saracon, you will see that there are many caveats associated with the conversion of PCM to DSD. These same issues exist when converting live analog signals. DSD playback is not so complex because it doesn't need to include any non-linear feedback.

Modern converters (ADCs and DACs)
designed for the highest quality are multi-bit. They do the necessary conversions to/from DSD. So much for "pure DSD".

I don't think DSD is inefficient in its use of bits. It uses 2/3 the bits of 176/24 PCM but has been reported as having roughly comparable quality. It is possible to apply lossless compression to both DSD and PCM—my numbers relate to the uncompressed samples.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: It's simple those who do not get the full sonic benefit of SACD can still benefit from Surround Sound - Tony Lauck 11:53:30 03/25/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.