Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Esoteric DV-60 vs. SCD-1 with VSEI mods

I have had a Sony SCD-1 for several years now. Never a complaint -UNTIL I heard it versus a Meridian G08.2 on RBCD. The Meridian sounded better in many respects to many sets of ears. However, I have many titles in RBCD and SACD and SACD wins (obviously IMHO). Getting to the point: I just took an Esoteric DV-60 in trade for one of my power conditioners (no shameless plugs unless you want them). The SCD-1 bested the Esoteric in soundstage, bass extension, pace, fullness of sound in both RBCD and SACD.
I spoke with a reviewer who will be handling one of my products and he has a Sony SACD that has the VSEI mods - Level 6, I think. He says that those who listen to comparisons with other mega high-end units usually say his is the better unit.

Questions:
1. Why does an at least 10-year old technology sound better to most here than a new SOTA universal player that Stereophile has just given a Class A rating to?
2. Does anyone have any hands on-ears on experience with the VSEI mods?
Thanks and I still love vinyl. ;)
Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Esoteric DV-60 vs. SCD-1 with VSEI mods - Silver Circle 07:07:06 03/25/09 (52)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.